Sunday, July 20, 2008

So I'm back on an airplane, eating animal crackers I bought at the airport. This is fast becoming a new routine. When did they start selling them at Hudson News? I LOVE animal crackers. Just feeling that soft white string of a handle between my fingers warms me up inside. The only thing that's really changed, is nowadays there are like 40 different animals in there. Half of them are unrecognizable. You have to be an anthropologist to figure them out. The first 3 I pulled today seemed to be an ox of some kind with a serious rib problem. What could have happened? Did he get into scuffle at the Nabisco plant with the koala I just swallowed? There used to be just lions, tigers, gorillas, bears and rhinoceros. The basics. Now we've got 3 different monkeys, a sheep and an ox.

Everything changes. That's a cliched simple truth of life. And thank God it does. But what is it about a red box with circus animals on it, a waxy protective pouch inside and a string handle that makes me feel like everything is in its right place and going to be ok? That's a powerful cookie. Or a good childhood memory. There's just not enough of them. Either one.

How did these crackers get in the airport? I wish I was in that marketing meeting....they're talking about what junk foods to put in these stores and someone mentions the Barnum cookies. They all look at each other and go, "BRILLIANT!!!" It's definitely new. I would remember this. I fly a lot and haven't seen them until recently.

The orange juice cart just came by. It's like preschool in the sky. I've got my OJ and cookies. Nap time to follow at 0900. Fortunately for me, noticeably absent from today's class is the crippling fear and lack of social skills that plagued my first preschool experience. Being an adult has its perks.

No comments: