Thursday, September 29, 2011

PEARL JAM 20 YEAR MOVIE

I went to see the Pearl Jam 20 year reunion movie the other night in Hollywood. It got some luke warm reviews, but I was drawn to it and wanted to see it. 

All the old footage was great. It took me right back. Being in Kik Tracee at the time those guys broke, I saw that period from my perspective. It was cool to see more about their experience. Music needed a reality check. And it got it. I remember hearing the Nirvana album for the first time and instantly knowing the world had changed. Like millions of others, I loved it. 

I drove down Sunset Blvd. afterward, even though there are shorter routes to my house. I listened to "Nevermind." So many memories. It was inspiring. I wasn't capable of being the kind of person I wanted to be back then. I was confused and didn't trust myself as a person or an artist. 

I'm in the process of a restart of my life right now, and I see that I have developed certain qualities I lacked back then. I feel good about where I am today. Art means something different to me. I understand things I didn't before. Experience is a hard, but effective teacher. And even though the body starts to shrivel, growing up has its perks. 

No comments: