Tuesday, July 16, 2013

I LOVE TECH, BUT I BELIEVE IN ART

I’ve been obsessively thinking about a comment Bob Lefsetz made in his blog recently http://bit.ly/1agmody (he is a music attorney who comments on the music business, but I find him really inspiring about pretty much everything. HIGHLY recommend). 

He wrote about how music is no longer driving the culture. Technology has won…for the moment. The smartest and brightest of today go into tech. There is some good music out there, but we don’t look to those people for guidance and inspiration like we used to. He goes so far as to say it’s generally the fault of musicians themselves. The tireless pursuit of celebrity status and money. 

Growing up, if one of my favorite bands got a corporate sponsor for something, we’d say they “sold out” and stop listening. Credibility was destroyed. It shattered the purity of the statement they were making in the music. Songs and artwork were my instruction manual for life. 

Today it’s tech. Facebook changed the world. Love it or hate it, it has connected the globe in a way unimaginable before. Twitter has helped organize revolutions. Incredible as they are, they are both just tools. And could be thrown away tomorrow for a better tool if someone comes up with one. 

Yet we still listen to the Beatles, and Andy Warhol exhibits are always packed. Art and music can strike an emotional truth beyond practicality. And that truth will always transcend its era. When I reach beyond the “practical,” that's when the good stuff always happens and my life gets generally yummy. I love tech, but I believe in art. 

No comments: