Thursday, May 21, 2009

ROSIE

Yesterday was quite the day. It ranged from attending a pre-school production of the "3 Little Pigs Opera" to our new friend Rosie at the laundromat (back to her in a minute), to planning a trip to New York, to setting a date for a pre-album release party here in Florida. The days are so full right now that when I sit to write these blogs, I get immediately overwhelmed with how much I want to talk about.

As our plans for releasing this album continue, I'm getting progressively more excited. Not only are our ideas themselves expanding, so is the circle of people involved. It's amazing how much the right people can bring to something. This is going to be a lot more than a cd release, and there's a lot to do, but it's all beginning to take shape.

Back to Rosie.....I still had clothes dirty from my trip to Big Sur. It was time. We all know when that time is. Sometimes we wait just a little longer, until we're wearing pants with no underwear because it's all dirty, flip flops instead of shoes even if it's 40ยบ outside because we're out of socks, and we've got that "I Dream of Jeanie" shirt on from high school that doesn't really fit anymore with a couple of old coffee stains we couldn't get out because that's all that's left in the dresser.

That was me yesterday. And Jack. So we went. Picked a laudromat at random that was close by. We walk in, and there's a girl who works there. She seems nice. Asks if we need help. She's right there when the coins don't work and uses a key to start our wash. She's smiling. Having a good time. She's sad to hear that Guiding Light is going off the air. She's worked in this laundromat for years. She walks around like she owns the place (maybe she does. I didn't ask). She lights up the place. Nice to talk to, or she leaves you alone if that's what you want. It was hands down the most pleasant laundromat experience of my life. Not sure exactly why I'm talking about it. I think what struck me was how one person's energy and approach to life can transform a place like a laundromat and an experience as mundane as doing my laundry.

She was reluctant at first when I asked for this picture. But I told her that I was visiting town and wanted to remember her because she was so great.

I do my best to be like Rosie wherever I go. I loved being around someone who was able to do it in a place like that so naturally.

Thanks Rosie!

3 comments:

kap marvin said...

dude, you're very much the same. im looking forward to seeing you again... so i can exhale!

Unknown said...

Rosie has a fabulous smile! I'm glad she let you take her picture to share. As much as I dislike laundrymats, the trip would seem to be much better with someone like her around. It's good to be reminded of our contagious attitudes. Makes me want to adjust mine upward, toward the positive and polite level a bit more. Thanks for sharing this.

Robert Grad said...

she inspired me too! I think we'll be going back before I leave here. i'm hoping she'll be there.